In this post, I discuss whether Doritos are gluten free as well as provide a list of chips that are gluten free. I also reveal how these chip brands fared when put to the hidden gluten Nima Sensor test. This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures.
With the summer BBQ season in full swing, there’s no time like the present to discuss whether Doritos are gluten free as well as share a list of chips that are gluten free.
I tested Doritos and other chips for hidden gluten using a portable gluten-detecting device called a Nima Sensor.
The Nima Sensor is one of my all-time favorite gadgets, however, in early 2020, the founders sold the company to Medline. Medline has not manufactured new sensors, and the company is making it increasingly difficult to find the single-use test capsules.
While the fate of Nima Sensor is in question, there are also rumors that it may be making a comeback with new owners. Only time will tell, but at this moment, I cannot in good conscious tell you to buy a Nima Sensor. I will update this information when I know more.
Are Doritos Gluten Free?
While I’m not personally a fan of Doritos, I’ve been asked by someone in my community to test them for hidden gluten.
Here’s what you need to know about gluten and Doritos:
- Doritos do not contain any gluten ingredients.
- The only Doritos variety that is labeled gluten free is the Simply Organic White Cheddar flavored Doritos. You can see a full list of Frito Lay chips with gluten-free claims on the Frito Lay website.
- Without a gluten-free label, it means that Doritos has not been validated to contain less than 20 ppm of gluten (the labeling guidelines set forth by the FDA).
- Could Doritos contain less than 20 ppm? Absolutely. The product has not been tested and therefore cannot be labeled as gluten free.
The Nima Sensor is highly accurate at sniffing out gluten well below the 20 ppm threshold. (Some critics even say it’s “too accurate” or “too sensitive”, if there is such a thing.)
Good news! Doritos tested negative – no gluten found.
I would personally feel good about eating them, but of course, I cannot make that decision for you.
Please note a smiley face on the Nima Sensor means the product tested does not contain gluten. If the Sensor finds gluten, it displays a wheat symbol and “Gluten Found” message.
Are Cool Ranch Doritos Gluten Free?
I haven’t personally tested Cool Ranch Doritos for hidden gluten, but a cursory glance at the ingredient list tells me that they do not contain gluten. In fact, the ingredient list goes out of its way to mention that its maltodextrin is derived from corn (maltodextrin can be derived from wheat, corn or other grains).
Remember, however, the only Doritos that is labeled gluten is the Simply Organic White Cheddar flavored Doritos. This means Frito Lay has not tested the Cool Ranch Doritos to ensure it contains less than 20 ppm of gluten.
Are Cheetos Gluten Free?
Yes, Cheetos are labeled gluten free and you can see the “gluten-free” claim on many Cheetos bags.
Frito Lay also lists the following Cheetos varieties as gluten free on its website:
- CHEETOS® Baked Crunchy Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Crunchy Cheddar Jalapeño Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Crunchy Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Crunchy Flamin’ Hot® Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Crunchy Flamin’ Hot® Limón Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Crunchy XXTRA Flamin’ Hot® Flavored Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Fantastix! Chili Cheese Flavored Corn and Potato Snacks
- CHEETOS® Fantastix! Flamin’ Hot Flavored Corn and Potato Snacks
- CHEETOS® Paws™ Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Puffs Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Puffs Flamin’ Hot® Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Simply Crunchy White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Simply Puffs White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Reduced Fat Puffs Cheese Flavored Snacks
- CHEETOS® Reduced Fat Puffs Flamin’ Hot® Cheese Flavored Snacks
I independently tested Cheetos for hidden gluten with my Nima Sensor, and the Sensor did not find any gluten.
Are Fritos Gluten Free?
Fritos are a staple in my house and they taste amazing when atop my Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup, a recipe I make twice per month (sometimes more!).
Frito Lay lists the following Fritos varieties as gluten free, and the gluten-free label is found on each individual bag.
- FRITOS® Lightly Salted Corn Chips
- FRITOS® Original Corn Chips
- FRITOS® Reduced Fat Original Corn Chips
- FRITOS® Scoops!® Corn Chips
The Nima Sensor came back with a smiley face (no gluten found), confirming that Fritos are indeed gluten free.
Other Frito Lay chips that are also gluten free (although I didn’t independently test them), include:
- Lay’s potato chips
- Ruffles potato chips
- Tostitos tortilla chips
- Santitas tortilla chips
- Smartfood popcorn
Are Trader Joe’s Rolled Corn Tortilla Chips Gluten Free?
One of my favorite chips to snack on are the Rolled Corn Tortilla Chips (chili and lime flavor) from Trader Joe’s. These chips contain a gluten-free claim on the bag, and, when put to the Nima Sensor test, they test gluten free. The Nima Sensor is all smiles.
Are Veggie Straws Gluten Free?
My kids love Veggie Straws. They are perfect for happy snacking.
Each bag is labeled gluten free, and the Nima Sensor was all smiles too.
Yes, Veggie Straws are gluten free.
Are Late July Chips Gluten Free?
Costco carries big bags of Late July tortilla chips, making Late July a staple brand in our pantry.
Sea Salt Late July chips are labeled gluten free (certified gluten free, actually), and the Jalapeno Lime flavor is also gluten free.
I, of course, independently tested the brand for hidden gluten, and the Nima Sensor did not find any gluten in either Late July flavor.
Are Pringles Gluten Free?
A lot of people ask me if Pringles are gluten free, and the answer is no, they are not. Pringles contain wheat starch as you can see from this screenshot of the Pringles ingredient list.
That said, if you love Pringles, I highly recommend you try Good Crisps. We call them gluten-free Pringles.
You can find Good Crisps at many Walmart stores or online on Amazon.
Missing a Chip You Love?
Am I missing a chip you love from this list? Want me to test your favorite chip brand for hidden gluten?
If so, please leave a comment and let me know what chip brand you want me to put to the Nima Sensor test next.