What a wonderful way to celebrate the first day of summer – and Father’s Day! – with this gluten-free summer quinoa salad recipe.
When my mother-in-law suggested I bring a side dish to last weekend’s Father’s Day BBQ, I was excited to make a quinoa salad. I have to admit, when I offered to make it, I wasn’t exactly sure what I was going to put into the salad. I sometimes use whatever ingredients I find in the house that sound good. That is exactly what I did here and this recipe is a keeper.
I have to brag a bit – I got a lot of compliments on this salad. I don’t know if everyone was hungry or just being nice, but almost every last bit of it was gone and I made big bowlful of this side dish. I think people welcomed this light, colorful and refreshing salad as the perfect accompaniment to the heavy hot dogs, steak and hamburgers on their plates. Plus, quinoa is protein-dense, making it good for you too. I find Summer Quinoa Salad to be a wonderful “pasta salad” substitute for us GFers.
Print this recipe and save it for your next BBQ or summer gathering. It’s definitely one you’ll be asked to make time and time again! I hope you enjoy this colorful, light and oh-so-refreshing side dish as much as we did…
Recipe Notes: I recommend only using fresh fruits and vegetables and truRoots Quinoa.
Summer Quinoa Salad
- 3 cups cooked quinoa - cooled
- 1/2 English cucumber, finely diced
- 1 orange pepper, finely diced
- 1 mango, finely diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2-3 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp. chopped mint leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. (I recommend cooking quinoa in a rice cooker with 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water ratio. When cooked in a rice cooker, quinoa is lighter and fluffier).
- Combine cucumber, pepper, mango, dried cranberries, parsley and mint leaves in a large bowl. Stir.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil, blend well.
- Combine with cooked quinoa.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in your fridge until serving. This salad tastes best chilled.
Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link.