Give these moist and tasty quinoa flour muffins a go. They are full of nutty and sweet flavors. This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures.
When you’re gluten free like me, you get used to baking with a variety of gluten-free flours – including quinoa flour. If you would have asked me years ago if I’d ever imagine myself baking with quinoa flour, I would have thought you were nuts! Now I bake with a slew of gluten-free flours, including almond flour, brown rice flour, oat flour and of course, quinoa flour. Today I’m sharing a recipe I came up with for gluten-free quinoa flour banana muffins.
Before I share my recipe, let’s talk about quinoa. First, and most importantly, quinoa is a naturally gluten-free superfood. That said, be sure to buy quinoa that is labeled gluten free, as some quinoa may be cross contaminated with wheat. I test several brands of quinoa for hidden gluten in this article, Is Quinoa Gluten Free?
As mentioned, quinoa is considered a superfood, and with good reason. It’s the only plant-based food that is a complete protein that contains all nine essential amino acids.
Also know that quinoa is technically considered a fruit, not a grain, so many people following grain-free diets also enjoy quinoa flour (depending on their diet regimen, of course).
I enjoy the taste of quinoa flour, but I’m not benign to the fact that it has a strong earthy flavor. It does take some getting used to, but with the right mix of ingredients, and an awesome quinoa flour recipe like I’ve come up with below, you won’t feel like you’re eating anything but a delicious muffin.
This gluten-free quinoa flour banana muffin recipe is super simple to follow too. You combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl and all the wet ingredients in another bowl. Then you mix it all together, fold in chocolate chips, and top with a banana slice for decoration (and added sweetness).
My husband and kids enjoy these quinoa flour banana muffins a lot – and I didn’t even bat an eye when my son asked if he could have a muffin for breakfast this morning. I felt good knowing he was getting a protein, fiber, and iron-rich breakfast – not too mention some nutrients from the sweet banana too.
I hope you enjoy making this recipe for quinoa flour banana muffins- and more so – I hope you enjoy eating them too!
P.S. Not all grocery stores carry quinoa flour. Some natural grocery stores will carry it, and you can also find it on Amazon for a great price.
Gluten-Free Banana Quinoa Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 12-muffin tin with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (quinoa flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda, cinnamon, salt). Set aside.
- Using your mixer, combine all wet ingredients (milk, honey, eggs, butter, vanilla, ripe mashed banana) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until all ingredients are combined (about 60 seconds). Scrape the sides and continue to mix for 15 seconds.
- Fold chocolate chips into muffin batter.
- Add batter to muffin tin, dividing mixture evenly among the 12 muffin tins.
- Slice a banana into 1/2 inch slices. Add slice on top of each muffin (optional).
- Place muffins in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clear.
- Serve immediately for best results. Store muffins in an airtight container for up to three days.