Elevate your basic hummus recipe by making this creamy and flavorful spicy hummus topped with crunchy chickpeas. You’ll feel a slight tingle on the tongue as you enjoy homemade hummus bursting with fresh flavors and a fiery kick. This post is sponsored by Crunchmaster and contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures.
Get ready to spice up your next party with a spread to remember, complete with creamy hummus flavor, a fiery kick, and a crunchy topping.
And when you see how simple it is to make hummus at home and you experience first-hand how fresh it tastes, you’ll never go back to store-bought hummus again.
Ingredients for Spicy Hummus
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this spicy hummus:
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (additional for topping)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3-5 tbsp water, adjust to taste
Additionally, you’ll need crunchy chickpeas, which I’ll show you how to make next, along with your favorite gluten-free cracker for serving.
My go-to gluten-free cracker is the original Crunchmaster Multi-Seed crackers, which are crunchy, baked crackers loaded with sesame, quinoa, flax, and amaranth seeds. This cracker is sturdy and savory and allows you to pile it high with creamy hummus goodness.
To make the hummus, combine all the ingredients in a food processor fitted with the s-blade, and mix on high for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is creamy, adjusting the amount of water as needed. Add more water for a creamier texture. Alternatively, you could add more tahini or olive oil to make the hummus even more creamy.
How to Make Crunchy Chickpeas
This hummus tastes incredible topped with crunchy chickpeas. These crunchy chickpeas add flavor and texture to the hummus, truly elevating this simple dip into something everyone will be talking about.
I recommend making crunchy chickpeas in the air fryer. If you don’t have an air-fryer, you can bake them in your oven (preferably using the convection setting) to get a similar result.
Here’s what you need to make crunchy spiced chickpeas:
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil of choice)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, then add them to your air-fryer. Air fry at 400º F for 15-16 minutes, shaking the chickpeas after 8 minutes and every 1-2 minutes thereafter.
Assembling Your Spicy Hummus Dip
Add the hummus to a serving dish and top it with a drizzle of olive oil and plenty of crunchy chickpeas. Add a side of Crunchmaster crackers, and you have one delicious dip ready to serve at your next party or to snack on all week long.
Why We Love this Spicy Hummus
It’s Good For You: Who doesn’t love – and need – a healthy snack? According to experts, hummus is packed with plenty of protein, fiber, and unsaturated fats. This hummus leaves you feeling full and satisfied.
It’s Got a Kick: I love spicy foods but had never thought of adding fire to traditional hummus. I think this hummus has the perfect level of spice. You can taste the kick, but you’re not overwhelmed with spices, nor is your mouth on fire!
Fresh is Best: I love hummus, but truth be told, I’m not fond of store-bought hummus. I love making it home where I can adjust the taste and texture to my liking. Fresh is always best, in my humble opinion.
More Gluten-Free Dips!
I love snacking on healthy dips. Try these gluten-free dips on for size:
- Chunky Pico de Gallo with Avocado
- Warm Butternut Squash & Apple Dip
- Game Day Snack Board with Homemade Black Bean Dip
- Lemon Dill Hummus
- Easy + Delicious Pumpkin Hummus Recipe
- Mediterranean Charcuterie Board with Homemade Olive Tapenade
Spicy Hummus with Crunchy Chickpeas
- 1 Food processor
- 1 Air fryer
For the Hummus
- To make the hummus: Combine all the hummus ingredients in a food processor with the s-blade and blend on high for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is creamy, adjusting the amount of water as needed and scraping down the sides to ensure everything is well combined.
- To make the crunchy chickpeas: Combine all the crunchy chickpea ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add the coated chickpeas in a single layer inside your air-fryer. Air fry at 400º F for 15-16 minutes, shaking the chickpeas after 8 minutes and every 1-2 minutes thereafter until they're crunchy. Do not overcook as they will burn.
- Add the hummus to a bowl and top it with a drizzle of olive oil and crunchy chickpeas. Serve alongside your favorite gluten-free cracker.