This post about what’s on Jersey Mike’s gluten-free menu contains affiliate links.
Yes, Jersey Mike’s gluten-free menu is plentiful AND totally safe for those with celiac disease.
In fact, gluten-free patrons can order just about any sub on Jersey Mike’s gluten-free menu using Udi’s brand gluten-free subs rolls starting on December 4, 2017 at all of its 1,300 locations nationwide. (Almost every hot and cold sub on the Jersey Mike’s menu can be made gluten-free except for a few items that contain gluten, such as the #15 Meatball and Cheese and the # 18 Chicken Parm).
Jersey Mike’s began testing the Udi’s gluten-free rolls in 111 Los Angeles and 19 West Palm Beach locations in December 2016 and has been rolling out the concept to restaurants nationwide.
The idea of offering gluten-free rolls came from a franchisee whose daughter had celiac disease. Given the severity of celiac disease and the difficulties of feeding someone a safe gluten-free meal without exposing them to even a crumb of gluten is a challenge (cross contamination in restaurants is a real threat to the health of celiacs).
That’s why Jersey Mike’s worked with the Gluten Intolerance Group to help train its team members on how to carefully prepare a sub sandwich for someone with celiac disease or a gluten intolerance.
Here are all the safe gluten-free protocols Jersey Mike’s has put into place:
- Fully baked and wrapped Udi’s gluten-free sub rolls are delivered to the restaurants. The packaging is opened only once a customer orders a gluten-free sub.
- Jersey Mike’s team members change their gloves so they use only clean hands when handling the gluten-free ingredients.
- All gluten-free subs are prepared on a piece of parchment paper.
- Employees use clean knives and utensils when preparing and slicing the gluten-free rolls.
- For hot sandwiches, team members wipe down the griddle.
- Jersey Mike’s employees can pull fresh ingredients from untouched, clean containers at the request of the customer.
- In the Jersey Mike’s in Greenwood Village, CO (where I live), the gluten-free sub is prepared on a different surface than the one used for regular, wheat-bread subs.
Did My Nima Sensor Find Gluten at Jersey Mike’s?
I called my local Jersey Mike’s restaurant last week to inquire if it had the gluten-free bread yet and it did (make sure you call ahead to ask until it’s rolled out nationwide on December 4th).
I used my Nima Sensor to find out if the food at Jersey Mike’s was really gluten-free. The Nima Sensor allows me to put a pea-sized amount of food into a test capsule and the device will tell me if gluten is present (or not).
I tested both the bread and the meat inside my sandwich (two separate tests). You can find out the results by watching my latest Facebook Live video:
If you’d like to order a Nima Sensor of your own, please read my article all about the Nima Sensor. You can also use my affiliate coupon code, GOODFORYOU, to get $15 off your order of a Nima Sensor Starter Kit.
Find a Jersey Mike’s restaurant near you. Enjoy!