This turkey meatball recipe is a weeknight favorite in my house. I use store-bought marinara sauce and cook the spaghetti squash right in the slow cooker for a super-duper easy weeknight meal. If you enjoy this recipe and want more gluten-free, weeknight meals, please check out these meal plans. This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosures.
I always struggle with dinner.
I want to make something easy, healthy and that the entire family will love.
And I desperately crave variety.
This wonderful turkey meatball recipe is the perfect weeknight meal, and it can be made ahead of time so it’s ready when the dinner hour rolls around.
The turkey meatballs come out are juicy and tender. The spaghetti squash is cooked to perfection with little fuss. And the sauce is simmering and warm.
What more could you want from a delicious, healthy, low-carb weeknight meal?
To make this warm, comforting and light meal, follow the following steps:
Step #1: Prepare Your Slow Cooker
Add one jar of your favorite marinara sauce to your slow cooker. The more flavorful the sauce the better.
I absolutely love Mezzetta Spicy Marinara sauce and Jersey Tomato Spicy Marinara sauce, and I highly recommend either jarred sauce for maximum flavor. Do not use an okay or cheap sauce, and always check labels to ensure whatever sauce you use is gluten free.
If your sauce is not spicy, but you want it spicy, add 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes to the sauce.
Also, feel free to add more seasonings to the sauce, like salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder or whatever spices you like.
I find the Mezzetta and Jersey Tomato spicy sauces are bursting with flavor and do not require additional seasoning.
Related Reading: Are Spices Gluten Free?
Step #2: Prepare the Turkey Meatballs
My turkey meatball recipe requires you to combine the ground turkey, brown rice flour (or breadcrumbs), egg, oil and seasonings and mash everything up by hand, preferably using disposable gloves, until well mixed.
Roll turkey mixture into medium-sized balls. You should be able to make about eight turkey meatballs depending on the size you make them.
Step #3: Prepare the Spaghetti Squash
Wash the squash thoroughly, then, using a sharp knife, poke three large holes in the top of the squash. Set it on a paper towel in your microwave and microwave the squash on high for two minutes until just slightly softened.
Use a sharp knife to cut the squash in half. Remove the seeds and place face up (skin side down) on top of the meatballs and sauce.
Step #4: Wait Patiently
Set your slow cooker to cook the meatballs on high for four hours.
Now wait patiently for the turkey meatballs to cook. They will plump up and become all juicy as they simmer in the sauce all day.
Step #5: Remove and Fork Squash
Remove the spaghetti squash from the slow cooker and allow it to cool on a plate for five minutes. Using a fork, shred the squash flesh into a large bowl.
Step #6: Plate
Divide squash onto four plates and top with two meatballs and plenty of sauce. Enjoy!
You can also top the final recipe with fresh basil, parmesan cheese, or just enjoy it as it.
There is truly no better way to enjoy delicious and juicy turkey meatballs than over low-carb, good for you, and naturally gluten-free spaghetti squash. Enjoy!
Want More Weeknight Recipes?
Looking for more gluten-free weeknight meals to enjoy at home?
A great way to build your weeknight recipe repertoire is to sign up for Meal Plans by Good For You Gluten Free. You’ll get recipes, just like this, made with clean, fresh, gluten-free ingredients, emailed to you each week.
- 6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
- Slow Cooker Fall Off the Bone Lemon Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Picante Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs
Also, visit my Sample Celiac Disease Meal Plan to download a meal plan with more delicious weeknight recipes.
Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash
- Slow Cooker
- 25 ounce jar of gluten-free marinara sauce of choice see notes below for brand recommendations
- 1 lbs ground turkey
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 spaghetti squash medium
- Add sauce to the slow cooker and set aside.
- Combine turkey, flour, egg, oil, and seasonings in a large bowl. Shape into about 8 evenly-sized meatballs and place each ball in the sauce until fully immersed.
- Carefully and with a sharp knife slice spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds. If you have trouble slicing it, poke 3-4 holes in the top and microwave it on a paper towel on high for 2 minutes. This will soften it slightly to make it easier to cut. Gently place squash on top of meatballs, face side up, and cover the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Before serving, remove squash from the slow cooker with tongs and allow it to cool for about five minutes. Use your fork to remove the squash flesh from the skin.
- Divide squash, meatballs and sauce onto four plates and enjoy. Top with fresh basil or parmesan cheese (optional).