I’m so excited to share with you this gluten-free slow cooker chicken thigh stew recipe. I love using my slow cooker, but sometimes chicken doesn’t cook right in the crockpot.
I recently learned that I was slow-cooking chicken all wrong! I was using chicken breasts, and, well, breast meat dries out quickly.
In this recipe, I decided to slow-cook chicken thighs instead. The dark meat can withstand the slow cooker’s prolonged cooking, and the thigh offers up a juicy, tender piece of poultry.
When making this recipe for gluten-free slow cooker chicken, you’ll notice I direct you to add all sorts of naturally gluten-free seasonings and vegetables.
You can’t go wrong when you’re cooking with naturally gluten-free ingredients – they are almost always good for you and, of course, easy to find at any grocery store in America!
When you make this, remember that you want to add only enough chicken broth to cover about 1/4 of the ingredients. The potatoes, carrots, and onions will add moisture, so you don’t need to add a lot of liquid initially.
I’m making this recipe for my Rosh Hashanah luncheon because it has carrots in it, a traditional Rosh Hashanah ingredient. Carrots are a sweet vegetable, and you’re supposed to eat sweet things, like this gluten-free honey cake, to celebrate a sweet New Year.
I will prepare all the ingredients in the morning and allow them to slow cook while I’m at services. Easy, right?!? I can’t wait to come home to a delicious-smelling house and a tasty New Year celebratory meal!
Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Chicken Thigh Stew
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 1 large non-stick pot
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1-3 lbs fingerling potatoes
- 5-6 carrots peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt more to taste, if needed
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in large pan over medium high heat.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel, then add them to the hot oil. Lightly brown each side of the chicken for two minutes per side, then place the chicken thighs into the slow cooker.
- In the same pan, add the onions and cook until they start to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute until fragrant. Remove the onions from the heat and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add fingerling potatoes, carrots, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and set it to cook on low for four hours.
- When the stew is ready, taste it and add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
Kristina @ Ms.Modify says
Yum! This looks perfect for cold fall/winter days! I can’t wait to pull out my slow cooker… now we just need cooler weather in southern CA!