This vegan and veggie-forward weeknight meal is bursting with delicious garlic and ginger flavors, and it’s loaded with plenty of plant-based protein. By coating the tofu in cornstarch and pan frying it in a little oil, you end up with a crispy tofu meal that is irresistible and oh-so-tasty. Even the kids will eat tofu and love it!
If you’re on the hunt for a vegan, veggie-forward, easy weeknight meal, look no further than this delicious crispy tofu stir-fry.
It’s not just any old tofu stir-fry because I have found a way to elevate the tofu to new heights.
Instead of simply pan frying the tofu with a little oil, I first coat it with cornstarch, then fry it. The result is a crispy tofu square that is extremely pleasing to the mouth and senses.
Let’s discuss how to make this delicious weeknight meal with the following beautiful, wholesome ingredients.
Here is how you can make this crispy tofu stir-fry:
Step 1: Prepare Brown Rice
The brown rice will take the entire 55 minutes to prepare, so prepare it first. Add rice, water, salt and a little butter or oil to a pan, bring mixture to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. The rice will slowly cook. It will be ready when you’re done cooking the remainder of the meal.
Step 2: Prepare Garlic-Ginger Sauce
Next, you’ll want to combine the sesame oil, tamari, honey, red pepper flakes, water, minced garlic and ginger in a small bowl. Set it aside.
Step 3: Prepare Tofu and Vegetables
Now you’ll want to heat your oil in a large non-stick pan until it’s hot, then roll the cubed pieces of tofu in the cornstarch and place into the hot oil.
When purchasing tofu, look for packages labeled “gluten free.” Read more about tofu in my article, Is Tofu Gluten Free?
You’ll want to cook the tofu until it’s slightly brown on each side, stirring occasionally.
Once the tofu is cooked through, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
Add your vegetables to the pan and stir-fry them until slightly soft, about four minutes. I used broccoli florets and purple cabbage, but you could use any vegetable you like or have on hand. I have also made it with broccoli slaw for a quick and easy meal.
Once the vegetables are cooked to your liking, add the tofu back into the pan, then add your sauce and saute the mixture for a few minutes until warmed throughout.
Step 4: Plate and Serve
Now you’ll want to plate your meal into four individual servings. First add rice to each plate, then top with tofu and then the vegetables.
You can top each plate with scallions, cilantro, and/or sesame seeds. This is optional but recommended.
Finally, you’re ready to eat up! You’ll find that the crispy tofu tastes best and most crispy when it’s served right away. Yum!
Each serving of this healthy meal contains 14 grams of delicious plant-based protein.
I never thought I would say this, but my kids love crispy tofu and ask for me to make it often. I like making it too. It’s a reprieve from meat meals, plus I know my kids will be getting lots of good for you ingredients when they enjoy tofu over meat.
Give this recipe a try and see if you like tofu prepared in this fun and delicious way. I have a feeling you will be coming back for seconds in no time.
Other Weeknight Recipes
Turkey Meatballs and Spaghetti Squash: A simple slow cooker meal that is as good for you as it is delicious.
Gluten-Free Egg Noodles: In this post, I share with you step-by-step instructions on how to make your own delicious egg noodles at home.
Avocado Pesto Pasta: This delicious plant-based meal will fill you up and having you wanting more in no time.
Extra Crispy Tofu Stir-Fry with Garlic-Ginger Sauce
- Small pot with cover
- Large non-stick pan
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp butter, butter substitute or oil of choice
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 14 ounce firm tofu drained and pat dry with paper towel
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or other vegetable oil of choice, divided
- ½ cup cornstarch more if needed
- 2 cups purple cabbage chopped or shredded
- 1 cup broccoli cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Prepare Brown Rice
- Combine rice, water, salt and butter in a small pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook on low for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Fluff with a fork.
Prepare Garlic-Ginger Dressing
- In a small bowl, add sesame oil, tamari, honey, red pepper flakes, water, ginger and garlic. Mix together until well combined. Set aside.
Prepare Tofu Stir Fry
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Swirl the pan to evenly coat it with oil.
- Cut drained tofu into small (1") even-sized cubes and prepare a small bowl with cornstarch. Roll each tofu cube in the cornstarch until evenly coated, then place tofu into the hot oil in your non-stick pan. Do not overcrowd the pan. Work in batches if necessary. Cook tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy throughout. If tofu is dry, add a little more oil to the pan or spritz the tops with a cooking spray (preferably an avocado oil spray).
- When the tofu is finished cooking, remove it from the pan and set it aside. In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of the avocado oil over medium high heat, then add the purple cabbage and broccoli and cook until slightly soft.
- Lower heat to medium. Return tofu to the pot with the vegetables, then pour the sauce over the top. Mix until well coated and mixture is lightly bubbling.
- Divide rice and tofu-vegetable mixture onto four plates. Top with cilantro, green onions, and sesame seeds (optional).