This is my homemade gluten-free marinara sauce recipe, which tastes amazing on any gluten-free pasta. This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures.
There are many wonderful, tasty and gluten-free pasta sauces on grocery store shelves these days, but I think we can all agree that there is nothing quite like the taste of homemade pasta sauce.
If you have the time to make dinner each night, you have time to make my homemade gluten-free marinara sauce recipe too, which, of course, is naturally gluten free! And it really does cook up fast.
All you need is some canned tomatoes, fresh chopped onion, fresh garlic and fresh basil and you’re looking at a delightfully fresh marinara sauce experience. Plus, add a little red wine to elevate the flavor. Mmm!
This recipe can be enjoyed over any store bought pasta, or spoon it over my two-ingredient gluten-free pasta recipe.
It also tastes incredible over my easy gluten-free egg noodle recipe.
If enjoying it with a store-bought pasta, I highly recommend Tinkyada brown rice pasta. It has the best texture and cooks up beautifully every time. I also like Jovial gluten-free pasta. Please note Jovial makes regular pasta, so check labels carefully!
If you’re looking for low-carb pasta alternatives, read my article, 5 Gluten-Free and Low-Carb Noodle Alternatives.
You can also use this sauce to my my slow cooker turkey meatballs with spaghetti squash.
You can fiddle with this gluten-free marinara sauce recipe, add more or less seasonings, garlic, basil,. wine and/or salt to taste.
And if the sauce tastes acidic, add a bit more sugar too lighten up the acidity. It really works!
Easy Gluten Free Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil or other high heat oil
- 1 onion, finely diced or pulsed in food processor
- 2-4 garlic cloves, finely diced or pulsed in food processor
- 2 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 56 ounces crushed or diced tomatoes 2 large cans
- 1/4 cup red wine of choice (optional)
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- Olive oil drizzle (optional)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Heat avocado oil over medium high heat in large pan or stockpot
- Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute until fragrant
- Add Italian seasoning and tomatoes – stir ingredients together
- Put heat to low and cover
- Cook for 30 minutes or longer to allow flavors to develop
- Add red wine (optional) and allow mixture to simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Before serving, add fresh basil leaves and olive oil drizzle (optional)