This recipe is for a simple gluten-free banana mug cake that tastes amazing and is sweetened naturally with bananas. All you need is a ripe banana and few pantry staples to make this banana bread mug cake a reality. This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures.
Sometimes I just want one slice of banana bread, but not an entire loaf. When I make an entire banana bread loaf, I eat an entire banana bread loaf. It’s funny how that works, right?
Instead of keeping an entire loaf of banana bread around my house, I like to make a banana bread mug cake because it’s perfectly portioned for just me (with a little leftover to share with whoever inevitably wants a bite of my mug cake).
To make this wonderful banana mug cake, all you need is the following list of simple ingredients:
- A ripe banana, mashed well
- A gluten-free flour blend. I use this gluten-free flour blend and it works perfectly every time.
- A little sugar, although this is optional because the cake is naturally sweetened by the banana.
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- A pinch of Kosher salt
- Mini chocolate chips or walnuts, optional
How to Make It
Mash your ripe banana in a medium bowl until smooth, then add all the other ingredients (except for the chocolate chips or walnuts).
When the batter is well mixed, add the chocolate chips, walnuts, or whatever you like (or nothing at all).
Add batter to a medium-sized mug and heat in your microwave for two minutes.
The mug will be hot right out of the microwave, so give it a bit of time to cool so you don’t burn your tongue or the roof of your mouth.
The cake is meant to be shared, although there’s no shame in enjoying an entire mug cake on your own.
This mug cake doesn’t disappoint one bit! When you dive in, you’ll find a warm, soft, and spongy banana bread mug cake awaiting you.
Each bite is perfectly sweet and bursting with delicious banana flavor. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Banana Mug Cake
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 4 tbsp Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend or other 1:1 gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips, walnuts or other topping
- In a small-medium bowl, add mashed banana, flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla and salt. Mix together well. Fold in chocolate chips or walnuts.
- Add mixture to a medium-large mug and microwave on high for two minutes.
- Allow mixture to slightly cool before eating.