I just love sharing gluten-free crisp recipes. I stopped making (or trying to make) gluten-free pie crust long ago and instead focus on making delicious gluten-free crisps (it’s one of the hacks I feature in my gluten-free hacks article). Gluten-free crisp recipes are so much easier to make than gluten-free pie recipes – and the results are pretty much the same (I might even like crisps more!). Plus, with crisps you can use whole grain oats (certified gluten-free oats, of course) and as much or as little fruit as you want. The rules aren’t as steadfast as they are with pie.
During this time of year, cranberries are in season and available in plenty on store shelves. I decided to make a berry crisp using this wonderfully tart, seasonal and colorful fruit. In addition to the cranberries, I added frozen blueberries (much cheaper than fresh blueberries and easier to find frozen this time of year) to give this gluten-free crisp recipe an added antioxidant punch! Can you feel the antioxidants rushing throughout your body to gobble up all those free radicals and rid of oxidative stress in your body? I thought so!
Oh man, just look at those colorful berries! Hungry yet?!?
OK, so the gluten-free crisp recipe still has sugar in it so… it’s still a dessert and it’s still not amazingly good for you… but given the alternative desserts out there (cakes, brownies, bars, etc.) with added white flours, starches and sugar, this dessert is a great alternative when you’re looking for something sweet to top off your meal.
The recipe is inspired by The Pretty Bee, but if I had to do it over again, I would have added more cranberries and blueberries to the mix. It fell a little flat and I think more fruit would have pumped it up and made the dish more generous and hearty.
Overall, this is a fun, festive gluten-free dessert – I hope you enjoy this gluten-free crisp recipe. Leave me a comment and let me know!
Gluten-Free Cranberry & Blueberry Crisp
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour blend (I use Bob's 1-1 Gluten-Free Flour)
- 1 cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 stick organic butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add blueberries and cranberries to a greased 9x9 square baking dish.
- Sprinkle berries with 3 Tbsp sugar and mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon.
- Add butter and mix together using a pastry cutter or potato masher until it's crumbly.
- Spread the flour mixture over the berries.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until done. The berries will start to bubble and the crumb topping will become lightly browned.