This post featuring my three-bite almond flour cookies contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures.
I love baking with almond flour. It always makes a gluten-free cookie – and any baked good for that matter – soft and gooey in texture.
It’s because almond flour is high in fat and has a high moisture content, which ensure a moist, soft-baked cookie as a result.
Over the years, I’ve made many recipes with almond flour, including these gluten-free chocolate chip cookies featuring almond flour and my almond flour cookies made with monk fruit sweetener, which are sugar-free, grain-free and so good!
Today I set out to create a new recipe for almond flour cookies… and guess what? The results were better than I expected!
Inside the Three-Bite Almond Flour Cookies
Of course you’ll need quality ingredients to make these three-bite almond flour cookies. As you’ll see, all my ingredients are naturally gluten- and dairy-free.
You’ll need a high-quality almond flour to make these cookies. I almost always use Honeyville blanched almond flour for all my almond flour baking needs.
I’ve tried other almond flours and rarely get the desired results. Test it, you’ll see. Honeyville is the best and my recipes come out perfect each time.
To add extra texture and nutrients, I added flaxseed meal to these cookies. Flaxseed meal is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids (the good fats), as well as offers up a good dose of fiber.
Light Brown Sugar
I like to use brown sugar in cookie recipes because it results in a moister, chewier cookie than if I had used white sugar. Don’t swap sugars. Brown is it!
Mini Chocolate Chips
Because these are small cookies meant to be enjoyed in a few bites, I prefer mini chocolate chips.
I highly recommend these mini chips from Enjoy Life. They’re gluten- and dairy-free and taste delicious.
Of course you’ll also need some standard baking items like an egg, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract and vegetable oil (I use avocado oil as it is safe when baked at a high heat).
You can see the ingredient list includes so many items you already have in your pantry, making this recipe a no-brainer to make and try.
How to Make Three-Bite Almond Flour Cookies
These cookies are no-fuss to make too.
Simple combine the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients and mix together until a cookie batter forms.
Fold in your mini chocolate chips.
Now cover your bowl and place it in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes. This part will ensure the cookies hold their shape when baked (and won’t spread).
Now scoop a bit of batter into your hands to shape the dough into a perfectly round ball. If the dough is really sticky, you can lightly wet your hands before rolling the dough.
Place each ball of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving them a few inches apart. Gently and ever-so-slightly flatten the dough.
Bake for 7-9 minutes until the tops slightly brown and the dough is set. The cookies taste best when slightly undercooked.
Allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on your baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Now for the Taste Test
These cookies are super delicious.
They are chewy and moist, and perfectly soft baked. I’d venture to say they’re stand-out good almond flour cookies!
As you can see, they are bursting with gooey chocolate too. Yum!
I decided to call my delicious gluten-free cookies Three-Bite Almond Flour Cookies because you can eat these little tasty cookies in three delicious bites (maybe even two bites if you dare try!).
They are also naturally gluten- and dairy-free, very soft and moist, and packed with healthy fats and proteins thanks to the almond flour and flaxseed meal.
You’ll also notice the cookies aren’t overly sweet. I only recommend using 1/4 cup of brown sugar, which isn’t a lot for a cookie recipe. The rest of the sweetness comes from the mini chocolate chips.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and that it wows your gluten-free AND gluten-eating friends.
I personally think no one can resist a delicious, moist, ooey, gooey and chewy chocolate chip cookie. What do you think?
Three-Bite Almond Flour Cookies
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, flaxseed meal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine egg, oil and vanilla in another bowl, and whisk until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, folding all the ingredients together by hand until well combined.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips, then cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 375º F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using your hands, roll about 1-inch dough balls and place on baking sheet about 1" apart. The cookies will not spread, so they do not need a lot of space between them.
- Gently press each dough ball to slightly flatten it (do not flatten all the way, just a little).
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until tops begin to brown and dough is set. The cookie should be slightly undercooked and will continue to cook as it cools.
- Allow cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a cooking rack to cool completely. Enjoy!