I have a real treat for all of you today… low-carb, grain-free and gluten-free cheesy cauliflower breadsticks. Yep, these gluten-free breadsticks are made with cauliflower. No flour. No grains. Notta. Zilch. Ain’t going there.
Now you can have your cauliflower breadsticks and eat ’em too!
To make this wonderful gluten-free cauliflower breadstick creation yourself, you need to give yourself a little time to prepare the cauliflower in your food processor. You want to pulse the cauliflower florets into small, rice-like pieces. An awesome shortcut is to buy cauliflower rice or crumbs already pre-chopped. My friend Julie says Trader Joe’s has cauliflower rice, and I just found cauliflower rice at Costco. Score! Having the cauliflower already “riced” saves you 10 minutes and a lot of clean up.
My entire family loves cauliflower. I make gluten-free cauliflower rice, cauliflower buffalo wings, carrot and cauliflower soup, and gluten-free cauliflower mashed potatoes too (still perfecting my recipe – I’ll share when it’s ready).
Making these cauliflower breadsticks was a no brainer for me – I knew I could get my kids to eat their veggies in a fun and exciting way. Heck, these breadsticks are totally adult-friendly too. I ate too many to count!
This recipe for gluten-free cauliflower breadsticks is so versatile too. If you’re not up for breadsticks, use the same technique to create a pizza crust. Instead of shaping the mixture into a rectangle, shape it into a pizza circle. Top it with pizza sauce, cheese and your favorite toppings and you have one awesome gluten-free, grain-free, low carb pizza.
Also, you’ll notice that I topped some of my cauliflower breadsticks with cheese, and others without. My son isn’t a big fan of melted cheese, so he enjoyed the “topless” ones. Here’s a close up:
It’s Gluten-Free, Pass It On
I decided to revitalize this recipe as part of the It’s Gluten-Free, Pass It On campaign that I’m doing with my fellow gluten-free bloggers. Each month we choose a theme or ingredient to work with, and then create a new recipe (or share an old recipe) that contains that ingredient. This month’s theme is cauliflower. I knew it was the perfect time to revitalize this recipe because the star of the dish is cauliflower (and it’s a super versatile recipe too).
I encourage you to check out all the cauliflower recipes posted by my gluten-free blogger friends. My friend Jane over at The Heritage Cook created Grilled Buffalo Cauliflower Florets. Yummy! My friend Raia over at Raia’s Recipes created this recipe for homemade lacto-fermented cauliflower. Amanda over at Gluten Free Miami created this soothing gluten-free roasted cauliflower soup. And finally, Alicia at Eat Your Way Clean created this AIP-friendly turmeric cauliflower bake – so good for you!! #PassItOnGF
Are you ready to make this delicious low carb appetizer? Here’s what you need to know when making gluten-free breadsticks from cauliflower…
Gluten-Free Cauliflower Breadsticks
- 1 large cauliflower, florets only (or bag of cauliflower rice/crumbs already chopped)
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning blend or choice Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. onion powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Work in batches to gently pulse the cauliflower florets in your food processor until they form into a rice-like texture. Do not over process. You can purchase pre-pulsed cauliflower rice instead.
- Place pulsed cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a paper towel. Place in microwave for 4-5 minutes and microwave until cauliflower is steamy and soft.
- Remove from microwave and allow mixture to cool for 5-15 minutes before handling. I suggest using gloves to handle the hot mixture.
- Next, remove all the liquid from the cauliflower. To do this, add a large scoop of the cauliflower at a time to a clean dishrag. Squeeze and drain liquid out as much as possible. Work in batches until you squeeze out all the liquid.
- Add to cauliflower mixture egg whites, parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Press mixture onto your parchment paper to form a rectangle. Flatten the mixture with your hands, and press everything together neatly and tightly.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until mixture starts to brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese (optional). Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before cutting into breadsticks.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Please Pin Me
If you enjoyed this recipe, please pin on Pinterest. You can find all my recipes on Pinterest too!