This post features my satisfying homemade gluten-free tomato soup recipe featuring roasted tomatoes, red peppers, onions, garlic and fresh basil served with tasty parmesan cheese-crusted crackers. This post is sponsored by Crunchmaster and contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures.
Did you grow up eating tomato soup from a can and grilled cheese sandwiches made with processed slices of American cheese?
If this sounds like your childhood, you’re in good company.
However, now that you can’t eat gluten, finding store-bought canned tomato soup that is safe for you to eat is a challenge. On top of that, if you’re an adult, you’ve probably outgrown highly-processed American cheese and canned tomato soup.
Instead, if you want to enjoy this comforting and tasty childhood treat, I highly recommend learning to make your own tomato soup and elevating our grilled cheese game.
I made this delicious homemade tomato soup with fresh, roasted vegetables, and topped it with crunchy parmesan-crusted crackers from Crunchmaster.
These tasty crackers hold their delicious crunchy texture even when dipped in the warm tomato soup. And it didn’t hurt that the soup and grilled cheese cracker combo made for the perfect healthy lunch for me and my husband.
In this post, I’ll show you how to make homemade gluten-free tomato soup using a few simple and fresh ingredients.
Step #1: Gather and Prep Your Ingredients
For the soup, you’ll need to gather the following ingredients:
- 2 1/4 lbs vine tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 8 garlic cloves, skin on
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- Fresh basil, handful
Step #2: Roast the Vegetables
You’ll want to roast all the vegetables to help bring out their amazing depth and flavor. Roasting serves to caramelize the sugars inside the vegetables, giving your soup a sweeter, deeper richness.
To roast your vegetables, line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease it well with cooking spray. Add the tomatoes, red peppers, onions, and garlic cloves (leave skin on) onto the baking sheet.
Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables gently and spread them out into a single layer on the baking sheet.
Bake in a 400º F preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow the vegetables to cool for about 10 minutes.
Step #3: Blend and Cook the Soup
Add the roasted tomatoes, red peppers and onions to a food processor or high-speed blender. Squeeze the flesh from the garlic cloves and add it to the food processor (discard the garlic skins). Add oregano and fresh basil to the food processor.
Blend all the ingredients on high until smooth. I personally like my tomato soup a little chunky, but you can blend the mixture until you achieve the desired smoothness.
Next, add the vegetable mixture to a large stock pot and add vegetable or chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and simmer until ready to serve.
Step #4: Prepare the Cheese Crackers
With the homemade gluten-free tomato soup simmering on the stovetop, it’s time to make what I’m calling parmesan-crusted grilled cheese crackers. You’ll need:
- 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 bag of Crunchmaster crackers – Roasted Garlic flavor* (4 ounces)
If you can’t find the roasted garlic flavor, choose any flavor Crunchmaster crackers you can find and that sounds good to you.
Line a baking sheet with foil and add the Crunchmaster crackers to a single layer. Top each cracker with a generous dollop of shredded parmesan cheese.
Bake the crackers in the 400º F preheated oven for about 2-4 minutes, checking often. You want the cheese just slightly melted but not burned. Parmesan cheese holds its shape when melted, so don’t burn the crackers during this process! Remember, oven temperatures can vary.
Once the cheese is slightly melted on the cracker, remove the tray of crackers from the oven and serve them with the homemade gluten-free tomato soup.
You’ll find that Crunchmaster crackers hold their crunch even after being baked, and they taste impressively delicious when dipped in the slightly sweet and slightly savory tomato soup.
The next time you’re craving homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese, use this recipe to create a grown-up version of this classic dish. It’s filling and healthy – you can’t go wrong. Enjoy!
Additional Recipes You Might Enjoy
You can also top the soup with my homemade gluten-free croutons.
- Best Damn Gluten-Free Chili Recipe
- Baked Brie with Walnuts, Pomegranates and Honey
- Gluten-Free Bruschetta and Crackers Snack Board
- Game Day Snack Board with Homemade Black Bean Dip
To Make the Soup:
- 2 1/4 lbs vine tomatoes cut into quarters
- 2 red bell peppers cut into large chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion cut into large chunks
- 8 garlic cloves skin on
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups stock chicken or vegetable
- Fresh basil handful
To Make the Cheesy Crackers:
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 package Crunchmaster crackers – roasted garlic flavor 4 ounces (use as needed)
For the Soup:
- Preheat the oven to 400º F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Grease the baking sheet with cooking spray and add the prepared tomatoes, red peppers, onions, and garlic cloves (leave skin on).
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables gently and spread them out into a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes and then remove the baking sheet from the oven. Allow the vegetables to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, red peppers and onions to a food processor or high-speed blender. Squeeze the flesh from the garlic cloves and add them to the food processor (discard the garlic skins). Add oregano and fresh basil to the food processor.
- Blend all the ingredients together on high until smooth or you reach desired texture and smoothness.
- Add the vegetable mixture to a large stock pot and combine with vegetable or chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and simmer until ready to serve. Season with additional salt, if needed.
For the Cheesy Crackers:
- Line a baking sheet with foil and add the Crunchmaster crackers to a single layer. Top each cracker with a dollop of shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake the crackers at 400º F for about 2-4 minutes, checking often. You want the cheese just slightly melted but not burned.
- Remove the crackers from the oven and serve warm with your homemade gluten-free tomato soup – what a treat!