While Snickers are gluten free, they still contain a slew of questionable ingredients and excess calories. In this article, I’ll share my Healthy Snickers bars, which you can easily make at home with just four simple ingredients. This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures.
Some of you are finding this post because you’re searching for information on whether or not Snickers are gluten free. I will answer that question first, but please, before you leave, check out my healthy snickers bar recipe below. This recipe will CHANGE YOUR LIFE if you love Snickers but don’t love all the icky ingredients and calories that come with enjoying one.
Are Snickers Gluten Free?
Yes, Snickers are gluten free, but there are a few things you should note before indulging in that tasty candy bar:
- Snickers do not contain any gluten ingredients, but they are not certified gluten free.
- Snickers contain sugar, dairy (milk and butter), peanuts, corn syrup, soy and eggs. If you have an allergy or intolerance to any of those foods, Snickers are off limits.
- One Snickers bar contains 250 calories and 27 grams of sugar – yikes!
My homemade healthy Snickers bars, which I share below, contain only nine grams of sugar per bar, and are less than 100 calories each. My recipe also offers that craveable combination of nuts and chocolate you know and love.
Best of all, my healthy Snickers are 100 percent gluten free, and they also can be made dairy-, peanut-, corn syrup-, soy- and egg-free.
This recipe is so easy, requires no baking, and is even fun for the kids to make as a fun and edible “craft.”
How to Make Healthy Snickers
To make a batch of healthy Snickers bars at home, you’ll need a few simple ingredients:
- 2 bananas. Choose bananas that are bright yellow and firm (green and brown bananas won’t work well)
- 2 tbsps peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1 tbsp crushed salted peanuts (or nut of choice)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted (okay to use dairy-free chocolate chips from Enjoy Life)
Here’s how to make my healthy Snickers bars:
Step #1: Slice two bananas in half lengthwise, and then in half again widthwise. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step #2: Gently smear peanut butter on top of each banana quarter. If the peanut butter is hard, microwave it for a few seconds until softened before spreading.
Step #3: Sprinkle the tops of the bananas with crushed salted peanuts. If you don’t eat peanuts, you can use any nut of choice or omit altogether. You could alternatively add shredded coconut too or instead of peanuts.
Step #4: Drizzle melted chocolate over each banana using your spoon using gently back and forth motions. If your chocolate isn’t smooth, add a dash of vegetable oil and microwave for another 10 seconds.
Step #5: Freeze your tray of healthy Snickers for 2 hours or more before enjoying. Keep frozen.
These healthy Snickers bars contain the cleanest ingredient list you’ve ever seen, right?
And at less than 100 calories each and the only added sugar coming from the chocolate drizzle, you can feel good about satisfying that sweet tooth with these delicious babies.
Here are answers to a few of your most pressing questions:
Can I use any nut butter? Yes, any spreadable nut butter will work (even sunflower butter if you can’t eat peanuts or tree nuts). If the nut butter is stiff, microwave it for 20 seconds and stir. It’ll soften up and be more easily spreadable.
How do you crush the peanuts? I add 1/4 cup of salted peanuts into a zip top bag. Gently roll a rolling pin over it until they’re crushed. You could use any nut of choice or omit altogether. Shredded coconut also works instead and makes a wonderful topping, although it would be more of an Almond Joy than Snickers.
How do you melt the chocolate? I simply melt 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in a small bowl in my microwave. I microwave it for 30 seconds, then mix it. I then microwave it in 10-15 second intervals until melted, mixing between each interval so the chocolate doesn’t buckle.
I can’t eat dairy? If you can’t eat dairy, I recommend using Enjoy Life chocolate chips. They’re dairy-free and melt well. If you have any issues getting them to melt, add a tsp of vegetable oil and stir.
Healthy Snickers Bars
- 2 bananas yellow and ripe (not green or brown)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 1 tbsp crushed salted peanuts or nut of choice
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips melted
- Slice two bananas in half lengthwise, and then in half again widthwise. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Gently smear peanut butter on top of each banana quarter. If the peanut butter is hard, microwave it for a few seconds until softened.
- Sprinkle crushed salted peanuts on top of each banana.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over each banana using a gentle back and forth motion.
- Freeze for 2 hours before enjoying.