In my quest to eat healthier, I’m looking for recipes that require minimal effort, maximum taste, and are low in calories.
That’s why I’m excited to share with you my simple shredded chicken enchilada bowl recipe, made with just a few simple ingredients and with little effort too.
To make these delicious, healthy, flavorful bowls, you’ll want first to make the shredded chicken.
One of the best ways to do this is in your slow cooker.
Simply add four chicken breasts to your slow cooker, top with a red enchilada sauce, Picante sauce, or even chicken broth, and cook it on high for four hours. Do not cook the chicken longer than four hours, or it becomes mealy.
Once the chicken is ready, you take it out of your slow cooker. Allow it to cool slightly, then shred it by hand or with two forks. Set it aside (do not put it back into the slow cooker). Add about 1/2 cup of the sauce from the slow cooker to the shredded chicken mixture to taste.
Now you’re ready to assemble the fresh ingredients for the enchilada bowls quickly.
Add a layer of white or brown rice to the bottom of your bowl, or use shredded lettuce for a healthier option.
Now top your rice or lettuce with shredded chicken and various fresh toppings.
As you can see, my bowls include canned black beans, canned corn (although I prefer freshly shucked corn when it’s in season), cherry tomatoes, avocados, jalapenos, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
You can use any toppings you like – olives, red peppers, mangoes, etc. These are your chicken enchilada bowls, so make them your own.
You can also add some of the sauce from the slow cooker on top of your bowl for extra flavor and spice.
I love this easy weeknight meal, and my kids go crazy for it too. It’s a winner-winner chicken dinner – gluten-free-style, of course!
Want More Recipes Like This?
Try these recipes on for size:
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup – Who says soup’s not a meal? This hearty chicken enchilada soup has all the fixings and tastes great.
Moroccan Chicken – Channel some delicious new spices with my healthy slow cooker Moroccan chicken recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Bowls
- Slow Cooker
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless, skinless (about 3-4 breasts)
- 16 ounces red enchilada sauce or picante sauce of choice
- 15 ounces corn (from a can) drained and rinsed. (If corn is in season, use freshly shucked corn on the cob)
- 15 ounces black beans (from a can) drained and rinsed
- 12 cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges, optional
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped, optional
- 1 jalapeno sliced, optional
- Add chicken breasts to your slow cooker and top with enchilada sauce, picante sauce, or sauce of choice. Set slow cooker to cook on high for 4 hours (no longer or chicken becomes mealy). Remove chicken slow cooker and allow it to slightly cool on a plate before shredding with two forks or by hand. Do not add it back into the slow cooker, rather, add 1/2 cup (more or less, to taste) of the sauce to the chicken and mix it until well combined. Set aside.
- To assemble your chicken enchilada bowls, add cooked rice to the bottom of a bowl, then top with shredded chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, fresh cilantro, jalapenos (optional) and a squeeze of lime. Add extra enchilada or picante sauce on top for added flavor.