I am a huge advocate of green juicing and talk about it often on my blog. Today I want to talk solely about the benefits of green juicing your way to health!
There are so many benefits to green juicing that this topic deserves a dedicated post of its own – agree?!?!
Before we discuss the benefits of green juicing in detail, I want to disclose that this post contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosures here.
First off, green juicing is naturally gluten-free – so you don’t have to worry about getting sneaky gluten in your body when you make your own awesome green juices at home.
Juicing also is the perfect way to heal and repair your body. When you have celiac disease, your small intestine is in shambles. Drinking green juices helps repair the intestinal lining and heal from within. Green juicing is great for anyone suffering from any sort of digestive distress (leaky gut, IBS) or chronic inflammation (migraines, aches and pains, etc.).
I always tell my clients that removing gluten isn’t always enough – you have to replace gluten with nutrient dense foods that rebuild your gut’s microbiome, strengthens your immune system and heals you from within! I discuss this in detail in my How to Fix Your Gluten-Free Diet Checklist.
As mentioned, there are many benefits of green juicing. I will share those benefits below, as well as discuss strategies for maximizing your green juicing experience.
The Benefits of Green Juicing:
There are clearly many benefits to green juicing:
- Fast intake of essential vitamins makes it easy for body to quickly absorb nutrients. When juicing, 99% of nutrients are absorbed in body within 20 minutes (only 40% of what we eat is absorbed)! This is huge to keeping us healthy and making sure we are maximizing the nutrients we put into our bodies.
- Strengthened immune system; disease fighting; likely less need for antibiotics and medical intervention
- Give digestive system a much needed rest
- Increased fruit and vegetable consumption; no need for factory made supplements
- Immediate boost in energy
- Clearer thinking
- Glowing skin and eyes
- Strong hair and nails
- Heightened sense of taste and smell
- Improved appetite control – makes you feel full and can kick start weight loss
- Money saving by eating less meat and more plant-based foods
Tips on Green Juicing Your Way to Health:
Here are a few ways you can help get started with juicing:
a. Focus on Dark Leafy Vegetables:
- Highest concentration of nutrients
- Great source of minerals (iron, magnesium, calcium and potassium, and vitamins K, C, E and B)
- Phytonutrients to protect our cells from damage and build immune and disease defense
- Contain omega-3 fats – the good fats!
- Calming and anti-stress properties
- Best fiber source
- Best source of alkaline materials; neutralizes bad breath, body odor and foul smelling urine/bowel movements
- Anti-inflammatory and healing qualities
Also, did you know that green vegetables have more iron than meat, and about 20 plant-based foods (broccoli, kale, spinach, cabbage, watercress, dried fruits, nuts, seeds, lentils) have more calcium than milk? This is great reason to drink those veggies!
b. Use Organic (when possible)*:
- May have more nutritional density (conflicting studies)
- Far less heavy metal residues
- Way less pesticides used; no GMOs
- Don’t put “sick” ingredients in your body and think you’ll become healthy!
Did you know that by the time a child is 1 year old, she has already received her acceptable dose of eight pesticides from 20 common foods? This is a terrible truth – consider feeding your child (and yourself) organic produce as much as possible, or at least switch produce from the Dirty Dozen list to organic.
Dirty Dozen (only buy this produce if organic):
- Sweet bell peppers
- Nectarines (imported)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Snap Peas (imported)
c. Juice More Vegetables than Fruit:
- Rule of thumb is to have a 3:1 ratio (3 vegetables to 1 fruit)
- Don’t use bananas, avocados, citrus peels in juicer (save bananas and avocados for smoothies!)
d. Try a Mini Juice Fast:
Replace breakfast (or another meal) with a green juice for at least one week. This is a great way to get your body adjusted to juicing and kickstart your way new healthy living regime. It can also be a great way to kickstart weight loss too! Whatever you do, don’t eat a huge meal when you juice. Embrace the juice as your meal and truly give your digestive tract a much needed break.
Purchase a basic juicer at Costco, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohl’s or this one on Amazon. Don’t worry about spending a lot of money. I’ve seen good juicers starting at $50 on the shelves at HomeGoods, and the average price for a decent juicer is around $90-$150. I use the Jack LaLanne brand juicer (purchased five years ago and still going strong!), and Breville is another great brand to consider as well. If you decide juicing is for you, you can always “buy up” at a later date. Keep your juicer on your kitchen counter. You’ll be more likely to use it if it’s staring you in the face and is easily accessible!
If you’re sold on the benefits of green juicing your way to health, please watch my video to learn how to make your own healthy green juices at home!
Good luck on your juicing journey. Please leave a comment if you have any questions. Happy juicing!
- Read a review about Trader Joe’s Green Juice and Daily Greens green juice.
- Get Jenny’s Favorite Green Juice Recipe here.
- Watch documentary, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead and learn how juicing saves lives!