I am a huge advocate of green juicing and talk about it often on the Good For You Gluten Free blog. Today I want to talk solely about the benefits of green juicing. There are so many benefits to green juicing that this topic deserves a dedicated post of its own – agree?!?! Plus, green juicing is of course naturally gluten free, and the perfect way to heal and repair your leaky gut as a Celiac or anyone suffering from a gluten disorder on the spectrum. Removing gluten isn’t always enough – you have to replace gluten with nutrient dense foods that rebuild your gut’s microbiome and heals you from within!
If you’re suffering from any sort of chronic pain (inflammation) or feel like you’re always tired or getting sick, green juicing is a great way to build your body’s natural immunity defense. Say goodbye to costly doctor visits, gut wrenching antibiotics, and feeling sluggish all the time. Simply green juice your way to health and build your body’s natural defenses against disease, pain and chronic illness. I personally consider green juicing an exercise in body sculpting and the perfect gift for my gut.
Now let’s talk about the benefits of juicing and strategies for maximizing your green juicing experience:
(1) The Benefits of Juicing:
There are clearly many benefits to green juicing. Here are the key ones:
- Fast intake of essential vitamins makes it easy for body to quickly absorb nutrients. When juicing, 99% of nutrients are absorbed in body within 20 minutes (only 40% of what we eat is absorbed)! This is huge to keeping us healthy and making sure we are maximizing the nutrients we put into our bodies.
- Strengthened immune system; disease fighting; likely less need for antibiotics and medical intervention
- Give digestive system a much needed rest
- Increased fruit and vegetable consumption; no need for factory made supplements
- Immediate boost in energy
- Clearer thinking
- Glowing skin and eyes
- Strong hair and nails
- Heightened sense of taste and smell
- Improved appetite control – makes you feel full and can kick start weight loss
- Money saving by eating less meat and more plant-based foods
(2) Tips on Drinking Your Way to Health:
Here are a few ways you can help get started with juicing:
a. Focus on Dark Leafy Vegetables:
- Highest concentration of nutrients
- Great source of minerals (iron, magnesium, calcium and potassium, and vitamins K, C, E and B)
- Phytonutrients to protect our cells from damage and build immune and disease defense
- Contain omega-3 fats – the good fats!
- Calming and anti-stress properties
- Best fiber source
- Best source of alkaline materials; neutralizes bad breath, body odor and foul smelling urine/bowel movements
- Anti-inflammatory and healing qualities
Also, did you know that green vegetables have more iron than meat, and about 20 plant-based foods (broccoli, kale, spinach, cabbage, watercress, dried fruits, nuts, seeds, lentils) have more calcium than milk? This is great reason to drink those veggies!
b. Use Organic (when possible)*:
- May have more nutritional density (conflicting studies)
- Far less heavy metal residues
- Way less pesticides used; no GMOs
- Don’t put “sick” ingredients in your body and think you’ll become healthy!
Did you know that by the time a child is 1 year old, she has already received her acceptable dose of eight pesticides from 20 common foods? This is a terrible truth – consider feeding your child (and yourself) organic produce as much as possible, or at least switch produce from the Dirty Dozen list to organic.
Dirty Dozen (only buy this produce if organic):
- Sweet bell peppers
- Nectarines (imported)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Snap Peas (imported)
c. Juice More Vegetables than Fruit:
- Rule of thumb is to have a 3:1 ratio (3 vegetables to 1 fruit)
- Don’t use bananas, avocados, citrus peels in juicer (save bananas and avocados for smoothies!)
d. Try a Mini Juice Fast:
Replace breakfast (or another meal) with a green juice for at least one week. This is a great way to get your body adjusted to juicing and kickstart your way new healthy living regime. It can also be a great way to kickstart weight loss too! Whatever you do, don’t eat a huge meal when you juice. Embrace the juice as your meal and truly give your digestive tract a much needed break.
Purchase a basic juicer at Costco, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohl’s or this one on Amazon*. Don’t worry about spending a lot of money. I’ve seen good juicers starting at $50 on the shelves at HomeGoods, and the average price for a decent juicer is around $90-$150. I use the Jack LaLanne brand juicer (purchased five years ago and still going strong!), and Breville* is another great brand to consider as well. If you decide juicing is for you, you can always “buy up” at a later date. Keep your juicer on your kitchen counter. You’ll be more likely to use it if it’s staring you in the face and is easily accessible!
Good luck on your juicing journey. Please leave a comment if you have any questions. I love reading your comments and answering your questions!
- Read a review about Trader Joe’s Green Juice and Daily Greens green juice.
- Get Jenny’s Favorite Green Juice Recipe here.
- Watch documentary, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and learn how juicing saves lives!