I’m getting hungry just thinking about this recipe for gluten-free honey dijon chicken. It’s so good!
For many years, I would only cook with chicken breasts. I don’t know why – maybe unfounded fear of eating dark meat? However, I learned that dark meat has just 8 more calories per serving than a similar portion of white meat, and it has fats in it that help you stay fuller longer (as with everything, eat in moderation). I also have found that grilling chicken breasts means you’ll likely end up with a hard and dry piece of chicken… but with chicken thighs, well, you’ll end up with some tasty, juicy and tender grilled chicken!
The beautiful part of this story is that Costco sells organic boneless and skinless chicken thighs. They are perfect for grilling (and slow cooking – I’ll share more chicken thigh recipes in future posts) so you need to get your grill fired up for Memorial Day and try this recipe ASAP.
Keep in mind that you can really play with this recipe. While I think the dijon mustard and honey are staples to the recipe and add great flavor to your chicken, you can season it up with different seasoning to truly make it sing. For me, instead of the Whole Spice brand of dill seasoning used in this recipe, I’ve used a lemon pepper seasoning and a chipotle seasoning. The chicken thighs turn out just as good, only with a little different flavor and flair.
Serve your grilled chicken thighs alongside this delicious mushroom risotto (recipe coming soon!).
Grilled Honey Dijon Chicken Thighs
- 2 lbs. or about 6-7 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 cup dijon or brown mustard
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- 2 Tbsp. dill seasoning blend (you can buy a dill blend at the grocery store. I used one by Whole Spice that includes lemon peel, dill, chives, onion, garlic, sea salt and black pepper)
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a large zip top baggie, place all ingredients. Mix together well and marinate chicken overnight or for 2+ hours in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large grill pan (or use your outdoor grill) over medium to medium-high heat. Once hot, place chicken thighs on grill. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, watching carefully as to not overcook or burn thighs.
- Put chicken thighs in a baking dish and cook in oven for about 10 minutes until chicken thighs are cooked through (no pink inside) or to about 165-175 degrees F.
- Serve with rice, potatoes and other sides of choice. Enjoy!