Gluten-Free Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Yes, you can enjoy your favorite Chinese takeout dish, made with love at home and completely gluten-free too! Add different veggies, seasonings and other ingredients to make them your own. (Try even a bag of frozen peas and carrots!)
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2lbs)
- 4 organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2lbs)
- 1/4 cup GF soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp. arrowroot starch, corn starch or other thickening starch
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup celery - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup portobello mushrooms - finely chopped
- Cooking oil of choice (for stir frying) - I use avocado oil
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- Lettuce leaves - options include small romaine leaves, butter lettuce leaves, or iceberg lettuce leaves
Freeze your chicken for about 30 minutes prior to preparation. If you forget, you can use complete defrosted chicken too.
Put lightly frozen chicken into food processor, working in 2-3 batches. Pulse 7-10 times until chicken is in small bits but not ground. Remember to work chicken in batches to avoid overcrowding food processor.
Add cut up chicken to a zip top bag and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together sesame oil, vinegar, GF soy sauce/tamari, red pepper flakes (optional) and arrowroot or cornstarch. Mix well and pour over chicken.
Seal bag and use your hands to knead the chicken and marinade together for a few seconds. Allow mixture to marinade for 10-20 minutes in the fridge.
In a large pan, heat preferred cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture to pan. Stir fry well until cooked, about 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Add mushrooms, red peppers and celery to the pan and stir fry for 3-4 minutes until vegetables are softened and cooked. (Add additional cooking oil if needed.)
Once vegetables are cooked, add chicken back to pan. Mix well and heat for another minute. (Add more tamari, salt, and/or pepper to taste.)
Add chicken and vegetable mixture to lettuce cups and sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds (both optional).
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 672mg | Potassium: 434mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 16.6mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1.2mg