Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Applesauce Cake
This is the my most favorite gluten-free chocolate cake recipe ever. It is rich, moist and decadent. I'm asked to make my gluten-free chocolate chip applesauce cake recipe all the time and it never fails to please even the people most skeptical about gluten-free tasting good!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 16 servings
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend 280 grams
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa
- 2-3 cups chocolate chips (for topping)
- 3-5 Tbsp. brown sugar (for topping)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Line a 9" x 13" baking dish with foil, spray with cooking spray
In a mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add to mixture eggs, vanilla, applesauce and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa.
Add flour mixture slowly to wet mixture, mixing on low and scraping sides to ensure all ingredients are combined.
Transfer mixture to greased baking pan.
Generously cover mixture with chocolate chips and brown sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes until center comes out clean with a toothpick.
- Use unsweetened applesauce when possible.
- You can also use cinnamon applesauce, simply omit cinnamon.
- Cake will be moist. It tastes better when you allow it to sit for a few hours before serving.
- Store extra cake in a storage container.
- Cake freezes well. I often eat half, then save the other half for a rainy day.
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 263mg | Potassium: 68mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 275IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1.3mg