Honey Orange Chicken with Rice
Going out for Chinese food is a contact sport. So many dishes are not gluten-free, and it's hard to find good Chinese food you can safely eat. Have no fear, you can quickly make yourself a Chinese restaurant-style meal with this delicious and sweet orange honey chicken recipe. I'm confident you will love every bite!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cups rice of choice
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
Orange Honey Chicken
- 2-3 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces and patted dry with a paper towel (about 1-1/5 lbs)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. sesame oil (or other oil), divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 4 Tbsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice (juice of about ½ orange)
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cornstarch slurry (1 Tbsp. of cornstarch + 1 Tbsp. water)
- Cut up vegetables of choice (broccoli, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, etc.)
- Kosher salt to taste (optional)
Add rice, water, butter and salt in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover until rice is cooked through (about 30 minutes). (Alternatively, use your rice cooker to prepare the rice.) Use a fork to fluff rice when done.
In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water, tamari, honey, OJ, zest, garlic and ginger. Heat mixture over medium high heat until bubbly, then whisk in cornstarch slurry. Once mixture is thickened (about 30-60 seconds), remove from heat and set aside.
Combine chicken pieces and ¼ cup of cornstarch in a bowl or ziptop bag until combined well.
Add 3 Tbsp. oil to a large pan and heat over medium high heat. Once pot is hot, add chicken and cook until chicken is cooked through and chicken begins to brown, about 6-8 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil to pan over medium high heat. Add vegetables and cook until softened. Add chicken and coat with sauce until well combined and heated throughout.
Serve over steaming rice.
Calories: 485kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 1161mg | Potassium: 411mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 8.7mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1.2mg