This Whole30 spicy turkey burgers recipe post contains affiliate links.
By now you probably realize that I’m getting pretty good at adapting some of my favorite meals to be Whole30 compliant. It’s actually not that hard to do.
However, I say that and I realize I should actually say, it’s not that hard FOR ME to do.
I come from a background of eating gluten-free for 6.5 years already. I know how to make recipe swaps that allow me to enjoy the same foods at you, only gluten-free versions of them.
For example, at a restaurant, I rarely order a burger with a bun. Most restaurants do not offer a gluten-free bun anyway, and those that do usually have dry and crumbly gluten-free buns I don’t like anyway.
Instead, I order my burger naked or lettuce wrapped. It’s a swap I’m used to making and actually have come to prefer! (It’s so much better for you too – just saying!)
So when I wanted to come up with a Whole30 turkey burger recipe, I knew this would be a piece of cake to do, after all, I eat burgers all the time and they are totally grain-free and gluten-free.
In order to keep things spicy, not bland, I decided to infuse my turkey burger recipe with a ton of fresh vegetables and spices.
In fact, stuffed inside these Whole30 spicy turkey burgers, you’ll find a chunk of yellow onion, some red pepper, a whole jalapeno pepper and lots of fresh garlic. Furthermore, you’ll find spices like chili powder and cumin – just to spice things up!
All of these wonderful vegetables and spices contribute to the full flavor of these delicious turkey burgers, and of course, everything is totally Whole30 compliant.
The best way to cook these turkey burgers is using an indoor grill pan. Turkey burgers can often fall apart on the grill, so they are best cooked inside in a pan that contains them. An indoor grill pan also gives the burgers nice grill marks, too. If you don’t have an indoor grill pan, I highly recommend investing in one! Amazon carries a lot of great options, including this one I like.
To jazz up the burgers even more, I suggest topping them with my homemade guacamole. Have you tried my homemade guacamole recipe yet? It is the BEST and I hope you’ll give it a go. I always get mad compliments when people try my guacamole – and that’s the honest, goodness truth. Yes, it’s that good! (Get my homemade guacamole recipe here).
I also served the Whole30 spicy turkey burger alongside some roasted fingerling potato fries (roasted with some avocado oil and Kosher salt and pepper).
I love everything about this recipe – the fresh guacamole, the spicy turkey burger, and the yummy roasted potatoes on the side. I hope you, too, enjoy this wonderful Whole30 meal. It’s a keeper – for sure!
Whole30 Spicy Turkey Burgers Recipe
Whole30 Spicy Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb. organic ground turkey
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, stemmed and seeded (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder (more if you like it spicy)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Using a food processor, pulse the onion, pepper(s) and garlic until they are in very small pieces.
- In a large bowl, add turkey, pulsed mixture, oil, chili powder, cumin and S&P. Mix together well with your hands (use gloves if possible).
- Heat your indoor grill pan over medium high heat (best to use indoor grill pan as turkey burgers don't hold together well, at first). Shape mixture into burgers and place on grill pan, working in batches.
- Cook for about 4 minutes on each side. If burgers begin to burn on outside, but are unfinished inside, add them to 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes to finish cooking.
- Serve topped with homemade guacamole (get the recipe by searching my recipe files) and alongside some roasted baby potatoes.