This Whole30 Salmon with Orange Sauce recipe contains affiliate links.
My son loves salmon and begs me to make it all the time. I love that he loves this fatty fish, but I do get sick of making it the same way time and time again. I’m lucky, however, that he’ll eat salmon however I cook it. He just loves it. (My daughter, on the other hand, won’t touch it – ug!)
Inspired by the Whole30 challenge, I decided to come up with a new salmon recipe that was different from any salmon recipe I’ve made in the past.
And I didn’t have to look far for inspiration.
I purchased all these wonderful, round oranges at the grocery store, and they were just screaming to be eaten.
I decided to create an orange sauce to pour over the fish to create a delicious Whole30 salmon with orange sauce recipe.
The orange would give the meal a natural sweetness … and I was craving something sweet! (Unfortunately the Whole30 forbids sugar of all kind, except that naturally found in fruit and vegetables.)
To make this recipe, I first decided to cook the fish. I seasoned each fish fillet and then fried it in hot oil until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
I then set the fish aside and cooked up the shallots (a mild onion) and garlic, and then added all the ingredients needed to complete the orange sauce including dried rosemary, orange juice and zest and chicken broth. I scraped the bottom of the pan to get all the stuck bits of salmon, which I knew would add extra flavor to the orange sauce. Once the sauce heated through, I added a tapioca starch slurry (you can use a cornstarch slurry if you’re not making it Whole30 compliant) and whisked the sauce until it thickened.
I then poured the sauce over the salmon fillet, and served this delicious Whole30 salmon with orange sauce alongside riced broccoli and charred shishito peppers. It turned out to be one tasty – and colorful – meal.
If you’re craving a little sweetness during your Whole30 challenge, this is definitely a recipe to make. If you don’t like (or want to make) salmon, you could easily make grilled chicken and top it with this same orange sauce recipe.
This recipe is one I will definitely be making time and time again. Whole30 or not – it’s a keeper!
Whole30 Salmon with Orange Sauce Recipe:
Whole30 Salmon with Orange Sauce
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1-2 Tbsp. Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute (or seasoning of choice)
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 shallot bulbs, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary (2 tsp. fresh)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Zest of two oranges
- Juice of two oranges
- 1 tsp. corn or tapioca starch mixed with 1 Tbsp. cold water (cornstarch slurry)
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Season fish with 21 Seasoning Salute and S&P. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- When hot, add fish and cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes, depending on thickness of fish.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add shallot and cook for 1-2 minutes (until softened). Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add dried rosemary, chicken broth and orange juice and zest. Stir for another minute until heated throughout.
- Reduce heat to medium and add starch slurry while continuing to stir mixture until slightly thickened. If it's too thick, add more broth, if it's too watery, add a little more slurry. It should thicken within 30 seconds. Remove from heat when thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and top it over your favorite fish or chicken recipe.
- Served alongside vegetables of choice.