Year’s ago I learned how to make pico de gallo from scratch. I never realized how easy it was to make your own – and it tastes a million times better than anything you can buy at the grocery store. I enjoy using tomatoes that are in season – especially when heirloom tomatoes are in bloom – but honestly, whatever tomatoes you can find at the grocery store will work. Once the pico marinates all its juices together, it tastes so yummy regardless of the tomato you used!
This recipe is a great way to impress your Super Bowl Sunday guests. Just be certain to make a lot of it – this will go fast!
Tip! Prepare the pico de gallo the night before you need it. This way the juices marinate overnight and it’s extra tasty the next day.
- 8-10 ripe heirloom (or other) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno (seeded), finely chopped (use gloves)
- 1 medium red onion or two small red onions, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine tomatoes, jalapeno, onions, green pepper and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Squeeze juice of lime, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add more or less juice and seasoning to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips.