I host several gluten-free dinner parties. Not only do I enjoy cooking but also I enjoy being generous to the friends and family I love. Since my Celiac diagnosis, no longer can I make a large bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, or even do deli sandwiches or bagel bar. My diet changed, and so did my entertaining menu need to change too.
After thinking about possible dinner party menu options, I came up with an idea to do a rice bowl bar. We go out to eat all the time and get rice bowls (think Qdoba or a Mongolian BBQ) where rice is then topped with a variety of toppings of your choice. Why couldn’t I create my own rice bowl bar at home and then easily entertain friends?
So I set out to create a rice bowl bar that included rice, chicken and a variety of fruit and vegetable toppings.
I’m so happy to report that the rice bowl bar was a huge success. My guests had a great time and even the kids loved being able to pick out their own rice bowl toppings.
The next time you’re hosting a gluten free dinner party (especially a party with kids or picky eaters), give this gluten free dinner party menu a try!
How to Create a Gluten Free Asian Chicken Rice Bowl Bar:
- Cook rice (or quinoa) in your rice cooker. Keep warm until you’re ready to serve.
- Marinate chicken in gluten free teriyaki sauce for 30 minutes or more, then grill and slice each piece. I use my grill pan vs. my outdoor grill and the chicken stays juicy!
- Sautee a variety of vegetables, such grilled zucchini, squash, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc. Serve each vegetable in its own dedicated bowl so people can decide what they want and what they don’t want. Since this rice bowl bar had an Asian flair to it, I added diced pineapple from a can.
- Create your own signature gluten-free salad topping. On this day I served up my Israeli Salad recipe but you can create your own unique topping or salsa to taste.
- Offer additional gluten free teriyaki or soy sauce as a topping. You can also mix part teriyaki, part chili sauce/paste for an extra spicy Asian-flavored sauce. Get creative!
Voila! Here you have rice bowl dish that everyone will love. You have your starch, protein, vegetable and sauce so you’re set!