My kids love to play with food (and guess what, so do I). As I was flipping through the People magazine holiday edition, I came across a “recipe” for an adorable marshmallow snowman craft. All the ingredients could be found gluten-free, so I decided to give it a try and play with my food!
The original “recipe” is featured in Darcy Miller’s book, Celebrate Everything!: Fun Ideas to Bring Your Parties to Life.* I haven’t read the book, but from the reviews, it sounds like an awesome book for those who like crafting and enjoy hosting spectacular parties!
I bought all the ingredients at the store (forgetting to get orange sprinkles for the nose – oh well). I then put all the ingredients out on the table and unleashed my kids to get to work! We did our crafting in the evening, and the sun was long gone (so my pictures are horrible). But I did manage to save a snowman and take a picture the next day. Isn’t he cute?
To create a snowman of your own, you need the following ingredients:
- Wooden sticks* (the ones you use for candy apples work well)
- Large marshmallows (3 per snowman)
- Rolos (yes, they are gluten-free!)
- Chocolate coins* (also known as Chanukah gelt)
- Candy eyes* (optional)
- Black or brown sprinkles
- Orange sprinkles (omitted because I forgot to buy them)
- Pearl sprinkles* in color of choice
- Royal icing (to use as glue)
It’s really easy to assemble all the ingredients into little snowmen.
- Attach three marshmallows to the stick by pressing the stick through the center of each marshmallow.
- Gently attach the nose (1 orange or brown sprinkle) and mouth (4-5 brown sprinkles) by pressing one end of a sprinkle into the marshmallow. It will stay in place. Choose long sprinkles.
- Attach eyes using royal icing as glue.
- Attach three buttons to the middle marshmallow (blue or any color you like) using royal icing as your glue.
- To create the hat, attach an upside down Rolo to the chocolate coin using royal icing as your glue.
- Attach the hat to the top of the snowman using royal icing as your glue.
- Smile, laugh and enjoy Mr. Snowman while he lasts…
*Denotes affiliate link