Looking to add some fun to boring old asparagus? You’re in for a real treat with this gluten-free roasted asparagus with Parmesan breadcrumbs recipe. What I love about this particular recipe is that the cheese and breadcrumbs really dress up the asparagus, making it look so elegant and like you spent hours preparing it.
One of my husband’s co-workers, Diana, passed this recipe on to me. She knows I have a GF blog and that I love trying healthy recipes. The recipe looked delicious so I decided to go ahead and make it for dinner one night.
Please note that the original recipe comes from Eating Well magazine, and I adapted to it our family’s liking. For example, I used gluten-free ingredients, and I skipped the chopped hazelnuts, which is listed in the original recipe. I’d say this is pretty much my recipe now!
I have to say, this recipe will be one in heavy rotation around here. The breadcrumb and cheesy topping add flavor, texture and crunch. Perfecto! If I were to make this again, and I will, I might add a bit more cheese. How will you make this recipe your own?
Remember, now is a great time to enjoy asparagus, as asparagus blooms in the Spring. It’s likely you’ll be finding a lot of this wonderful vegetable in grocery stores now. Go ahead and buy some – April and May are peak months, enabling you to enjoy this wonder veggie at the peak of freshness. These superfood stalks contain anti-oxidants and many anti-inflammatory properties – bonus points for you and me!
PS: Like this recipe? Try my Gluten-Free Cherry Tomato Crisp too!
- 2 lbs. asparagus, with bottom ends trimmed off
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (divided)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs (I used Ian's brand)
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with foil.
- Add asparagus, salt and pepper, and 1 Tablespoon olive oil to a large bowl and toss.
- Add mixture to baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until asparagus is al dente.
- While asparagus is baking, combine remaining olive oil, cheese, lemon zest and breadcrumbs in the bowl. Set aside.
- Transfer asparagus to an oven safe baking/serving dish.
- Top asparagus with cheese mixture and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.