This gluten-free spicy queso is made with real cheese and whole ingredients.
You won’t find processed ingredients in here – just say no to Velveeta(R)!
You can enjoy this spicy queso with chips or vegetables – it’s perfect for entertaining too.
Gluten-Free Spicy Queso
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos (red or green or both), seeded and finely chopped (add more jalapenos for more spice)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. tapioca flour or cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 6 cups packed shredded cheese(s) of choice (I used a combination of mild cheddar and pepper jack)
- 1 medium tomato
- 1-2 dashes of hot sauce
- Kosher salt, to taste
Melt butter in medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and saute for 5 minutes.
Add garlic and saute for another minute, until fragrant.
Turn heat to medium-low and add tapioca flour and whisk ingredients together for about 30 seconds.
Add milk and continue to whisk mixture continuously for about 1-2 minutes or until mixture is thick.
Add tomatoes and continue to whisk mixture for another minute.
Add half of cheese mixture and briskly whisk to incorporate, then add the rest of the cheese while continuing to stir until completely melted and incorporated.
Add salt and hot sauce to taste.
Remove from heat and enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips.