I am so excited to share with you my recipe for Fresh Tex Mex Enchilada Bowls because I love love love Mexican food! I hope you do too!
I fondly recall that one of the first things my gluten-free friend, Emily, told me when I was diagnosed with celiac disease is that I should learn to love Mexican food.
Learn to love Mexican food?!
What a strange thing to say after I told her I had celiac disease.
It turns out she was right because most Mexican products are naturally gluten-free. Mexican food is a gluten-free person’s staple! The only things off limits are Americanized Mexican foods like flour tortillas, and of course, anything deep fried in a shared fryer.
I told Emily to rest assured, because I already loved Mexican food.
When Mambo Sprouts selected me to create a fun and simple recipe using Simply Organic’s new Red Enchilada Simmer Sauce, I was all in!
In full disclosure, Mambo Sprouts and Simply Organic sent me several simmer sauces to use as well as compensation for this post. Please see my disclosures page for details.
Simply Organic’s Simmer Sauces came out in May 2017 and are available in grocery stores nationwide. I can personally verify that they are on the shelves at Sprouts Farmer’s Market because I saw them at my local Sprouts in Greenwood Village, Colorado.
Simply Organic Simmer Sauces come in a three varieties – Red Enchilada Simmer Sauce, Classic Fajita Simmer Sauce and Mild Taco Simmer Sauce.
I decided to experiment with the Red Enchilada Simmer Sauce because, when I opened it, could smell hints of smoked chiles and ancho seasonings. This stuff was the real deal. My mouth began watering! I had to have this stuff!
Simply Organic Simmer Sauces are not labeled gluten-free; however, there are no gluten ingredients in these sauces. Just to be certain, I decided to use my Nima Sensor to test the Simply Organic Red Enchilada Sauce. My Nima Sensor gave me a smiley face, letting me know these sauces are indeed a-okay for us gluten-free folk – yay!
Instead of making basic enchiladas, which I highly recommend you do, I decided to make some Fresh Tex Mex Enchilada Bowls. I think everything tastes better in a bowl, don’t you?
Prior to assembling the Fresh Tex Mex Enchilada Bowls, I marinated organic chicken breasts in half of the simmer sauce for about an hour in the fridge. Be sure to reserve half of the simmer sauce for topping your Fresh Tex Mex Enchilada Bowls at the end.
I then took the chicken out of the fridge and allowed it to sit on my counter for about 15 minutes while I heated the grill and began preparing the rice and corn on the cob. While the chicken was grilling, I was chopping tomatoes, cilantro and avocados. Once the corn on the cob was ready, I used my knife to remove the corn from the cob.
Once everything was ready, I began assembling my Fresh Tex Mex Enchilada Bowls.
The bottom of the bowl contained rice (you can use white or brown rice, but I recommend brown rice because it’s more fiber-rich). You can’t see the rice because I’ve covered it up with all sorts of delicious goodies!
Upon the rice, I placed grilled chicken, chopped tomatoes, fresh corn (you can use canned corn too), sliced avocados, a spritz of lime and of course, fresh cilantro from my garden! I then topped the juicy grilled chicken with some of the reserved red enchilada sauce to bring all the flavors together.
I am so proud of this dish because it’s bursting with fresh vegetables, fresh-picked herbs, and authentic Mexican flavors (thanks to the delicious red enchilada simmer sauce). The sauce gave off a warm aroma that was as pleasing to the nose as it was to the palate.
Overall, I got mad compliments from my family for this beautiful and delicious recipe. They don’t have to know how easy it was to make with the flavorful simmer sauce at my fingertips. That’ll just be our little secret, ok?
You can purchase these delightful and aromatic Simmer Sauces everywhere Simply Organic products are sold or online. The Red Enchilada Simmer sauce retails for $3.49.
If you enjoyed my recipe for Fresh Tex Mex Enchilada Bowls, please pin this graphic to your Pinterest page. Also, continue to scroll down for a printable recipe.
- 1 jar Simply Organic Red Enchilada Simmer Sauce
- 2 cups brown or white rice, cooked
- 4 organic boneless chicken breasts
- 4 fresh corn on the cob, cooked and corn removed from cob
- 12 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Add chicken breasts to a zip top bag with 1/2 package of Simply Organic Red Enchilada Simmer Sauce. Place chicken in fridge to marinate for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken mixture from fridge and set on countertop for 15 minutes (this will help remove the chill from the chicken prior to cooking).
- Heath grill or grill pan over medium high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook through, turning it after about 3-5 minutes. Do not burn or overcook the chicken.
- Remove cooked chicken from heat and set on a plate to cool.
- Once cooled, slice chicken and set aside.
- Begin assembling your bowls. Add the rice to the bottom of the bowl and top it with grilled chicken, tomatoes, avocado and corn. Spritz lime over chicken and vegetables before adding a generous portion of the red enchilada sauce atop the chicken. Top the entire bowl with fresh cilantro.